Log Cabin Renovation – Madison, Virginia
Architect: Michael Lysczek. Builder: Brannock Enterprises. Landscaping: Lee Highway Nursery.
As the husband approached retirement from an executive position in Washington, DC, this couple decided they wanted to make their 1,500 SF weekend cabin in Madison, Virginia their “forever” home. Their vision for their new home included:
- More livable space to comfortably accommodate visits from their newly-married adult children with wives and kids in tow.
- A kitchen that would allow the wife to showcase her treasured copper collection of artifacts that have been carefully collected over the years.
The completed renovation added 3,300 SF to the original home, including:
- 1,200 SF to the main level (kitchen, second kitchen, laundry room, dining room and living room);
- A 700 SF deck and 300 SF patio; and
- An 1100 SF finished basement.
Noteworthy features in this home include:
- Custom made floors made from reclaimed hickory wood;
- Custom made copper gutters;
- Shaker door panel kitchen cabinetry;
- Coffee Leathered granite kitchen countertops with texture and some “brown” to warm up the space;
- A custom fabricated kitchen stovetop hood with matching rustic floating shelves on each side of the stovetop, made from reclaimed chestnut wood;
- A large wine cellar with capacity to hold several thousand bottles of wine;
- Custom made black powder coated aluminum railings;
- Extensive electrical, mechanical and plumbing renovation.